I was reading the book of Exodus and was overwhelmed by the sense of God's love. Now I know when you read Exodus you think of judgment, and God's judgment is just. And of His distain for sin for He is holy, But love? Let me share a few verses to illustrate what I am talking about:
He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death. And if a man lie not in wait, but God deliver [him] into his hand; then I will appoint thee a place whither he shall flee. But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die. –Exodus 21:12-14
- And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.-Exodus 21:15
- And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. –Exodus 21:17
- And if men strive together, and one smite another with a stone, or with [his] fist, and he die not, but keepeth [his] bed: If he rise again, and walk abroad upon his staff, then shall he that smote [him] be quit: only he shall pay [for] the loss of his time, and shall cause [him] to be thoroughly healed. –Exodus 21:18-19
- If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart [from her], and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges [determine]. And if [any] mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.-Exodus 21:22-25
- And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake. And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.-Exodus 21:26-27
I see God’s love in His concern for the protection of the innocent. The murder must die as he took an innocent life. God wants the parents honored not despised. God love is not limited by man’s social norms, when this was written people could be property, but God protects them so that either man or woman if harmed even to the point they lost a tooth they would be set free. (I do not believe this means God ever condoned slavery, as all men are created in the image of the living God. But God tolerated it due to the “hardness of men’s hearts” much like Jesus taught on divorce). This even goes to the point of protecting the unborn humans, that the person causing the death of an unborn child was to die. Like I said, God did not ask our opinion if we want it that way or not. God cares for each one of us so much He sent His son Jesus to pay the price for our sins on the cross, and that is the wonderful truth of it all. No matter where we are, He can save us and cleanse us from all our sins.