And in the New Testiment:
- The Apostles & Disciples who heard the voice in Jesus (and very few of them stayed faithful. out of 70, 12 remained, one of them betrayed Him) so actualy hearing God is not the final measure of faithfulness.
- Those at the Baptism of Jesus, who heard God say, “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased”
- Those at the transfiguration: “This is My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, hear ye Him…and they were sore afraid” (Matthew 17:5-6) and afterwards Peter still denied Him, so hearing God’s audiable voice is no guartntee of not failing.
- Paul on the road to Damacus.
I am afraid that many Christians, myself included, speak rather carelessly, when saying that “God spoke to me” and saying it like Jesus was at my side speaking in an audiable voice in my ear. This is not how God usually speaks. How then does God speak? I’m glad you asked!
To hear God’s voice you must be in God’s Will.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Col 3:16)
Being in God’s Will is at the center of being able to hear His voice. He makes His will plain in His Word. We need to follow what we know is God’s will before He speaks in other ways. So the first way He speakes is by and through His Word. We need to let God’s Word dwell in us richly in all wisdom.
God Speaks by His Peace
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. (Col 3:15)
- Peace-G1515 eirēnē i-rah’-nay Probably from a primary verb εἴρω eirō (to join); peace (literally or figuratively); by implication prosperity: – one, peace, quietness, rest, + set at one again.
- Rule-G1018 βραβεύω brabeuō brab-yoo’-o From the same as G1017; to arbitrate, that is, (generally) to govern (figuratively prevail): – rule.
We need to let peace rule like an umpire in our souls.
God Speaks by His Fire
Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay. (Jer 20:9)
The strong desire to do something for God, the fire in the bones, is a way of God speaking, When God called me to teach, He used the Bible, When Peter was talking with Jesus and asked Peter “lovest thou me?…feed my lambs, my sheep, my sheep” He spoke to me and I spoke with my Pastor and he put me in as a helper in a Sunday School class. But when he called me to preach (at the 1995 Sword of the Lord Meetings in Walkertown NC, Tom Malone was preaching on the rich man and Lazarus and he spoke of the rich man burning, our loved one’s burning, our friends burning and he asked me what are you going to do about it? I said anything, Jesus, just anything. God gave me the fire that night and it has not left me from them on.
The Word of God, The Peace of God, The Fire of God. Follow them and you can here God as well, it may not be audiable, but real none the less. But the starting point is salvation. You need to be one of His. So if you are not saved tonight, why not? Let me tell you about my Jesus. He loved you and died for you and He will save you tonight if you believe on Him and call on His name.