1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
- Those who submit patiently to the dispensations of God’s providence he lifts up; those who lift themselves up, God thrusts down. If we humble not ourselves under God’s grace, he will humble us under his judgments. Those who patiently submit to him, he exalts in due time; if his hand be mighty to depress, it is also mighty to exalt.
- In the summer of 1986, two ships collided in the Black Sea off the coast of Russia. Hundreds of passengers died as they were hurled into the icy waters below. News of the disaster was further darkened when an investigation revealed the cause of the accident. It wasn’t a technology problem like radar malfunction–or even thick fog. The cause was human stubbornness. Each captain was aware of the other ship’s presence nearby. Both could have steered clear, but according to news reports, neither captain wanted to give way to the other. Each was too proud to yield first. By the time they came to their senses, it was too late. -Closer Walk, December, 1991.
- Luke 14, high and low rooms.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- Unfortunately, when many of us think about casting, it is just like we are fishing. We cast it out to God to handle the problem and we reel it back in. lust, pride, adultery, wicked habits.
- You may have heard to old saying “It is time to fish or cut bait.” It is time to cut the line on the things we need to let go of. Then when we walk away it cannot follow.